Literacy Center project, version 3

Third version of the project for my school's tutoring center. Analysis of versions 1 and 2 here.

There were multiple problems with the second version of this project. One was that the school didn't want me to have access to some of the data it required, and another was the fact that tutors and tutees as well had to use the website. It should be as easy as possible for a student to come in to the Lit Center and get tutored, so requiring this student to get out their phone and login to some new website would make this process even more elongated. I'd like to think of the latest version as mostly a replacement for the notecards; not much should change in the method that the Lit Center operates.

I kept the back end of the Rails App for communication, and built apps for Android and iOS for the tutors to use.

Android

This went pretty quickly for me, as I was already experienced with Java and had some knowledge of Android development. I've even learned more stuff from iOS since then- for example, I should use a TableView instead of dynamically stacking LinearLayouts.
One weird problem I had when using Google+ OAuth sign-in was that I kept getting "an internal error occurred" after the user signed in. I tried recreating the project in Google Cloud Console many times, to no avail. The only solution I found that worked was running the app on my device as a built APK.
Looking at StackOverflow now, I scrolled down the tens of answers to the bottom. One person mentioned using a different keystore/SHA1 for testing versus building. That could have been the problem, maybe... requires further investigation.

iOS

I had a rough start with this. No one in my family owned a Mac (well, besides one of these) and I couldn't just borrow one for however long it would take me to do this. Or could I?
I signed up for the service MacinCloud, a cloud-based Mac renting/sharing service. This was $30 a month. When the mouse was simply moved a bit, horizontal lines would stagger down the screen as it refreshed. It was painful to do iOS development on this; especially when I was on a video call with someone giving me help. (thanks, Jami Becker!)
Thankfully, after enough persuasion, my parents agreed to buy a Mac Mini. Past that, it was relatively smooth sailing.

In my opinion, the mobile apps are more organized and better looking than the previous web clients. I also made another web page that tutor without Androids or iPhones can use; this also looks better than the previous version. It's not all about looks though- with each iteration, this project has fit the Literacy Center's needs better and better. Now it's just a problem of getting everyone to adopt it.


You can view the apps on the App Store and Play Store.